A small rural community of about 6,500 people, Stow is set within a landscape of rolling hills and rustic country lanes. Before its incorporation in 1683, Stow was called Pompositticut (an Indian name meaning “land of many hills”) Plantation. Its first proprietors were farmers from Concord and Sudbury seeking additional land.
Stow’s original settlement, centered on what is now the area known as Lower Village, included a traditional town common framed by a meeting house and burying ground. This later shifted to the west to what is now the Upper Village.
Deeply engaged in Revolutionary activities, 81 soldiers from Stow participated in the battle of April 19th. Many went on to fight at Bunker Hill and the Battle of Saratoga.
While retaining its countrified character, today Stow balances business and industrial uses with commercial working farms. More than 2,700 acres of Stow are preserved as open space, including the Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge.