NASHUA, NEW HAMPSHIRE
Sited at the confluence of the Merrimack and Nashua Rivers, just north of where the Merrimack River takes a dramatic northeastern bend, Nashua has been inhabited for 8,000 to 10,000 years.
Originally part of the 200 square-mile land grant awarded Edward Dunstable, which included area in both New Hampshire and Massachusetts, Nashua was named in 1836 following the development of the first large planned manufacturing township in New Hampshire by the Nashua Manufacturing Company, the township of Nashua Village.
Chartered as a city in 1853, Nashua’s diverse industrial base was served by an extensive rail network. Today it is the second largest city in New Hampshire with three commercial districts and well-defined neighborhoods including French Hill, part of the Nashville Historic District listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.