Maynard, located on the Assabet River, was originally known as “Assabet Village.” The village was part of Stow and Sudbury until incorporated as an independent town in 1871, named after Amory Maynard, who along with William Knight bought water rights to the river. The two men constructed a dam in 1846 and completed in 1847, then built the Assabet Woolen Mill, the maker of the highest percentage of wool used for military uniforms during the Civil War.
Today Maynard’s mills have been repurposed as office and manufacturing space. “The Mill” served as offices for Digital Equipment Corporation from 1957 to 1998. After sitting empty for a decade, it was renovated in the late 1990’s and now houses businesses including Powell Flutes. It remains home to the oldest working hand-wound clock in the country.