HOLLIS, NEW HAMPSHIRE
Hollis was first settled by Anna and Peter Powers and their children in 1731, and incorporated in 1746. By 1760, more than 105 families called Hollis home, and the wilderness the Parkers’ encountered on the fringes of what is now Silver Lake supported a church, graveyard, and a town common.
At the close of the Revolutionary War, where 22 Hollis men were killed in battle, the town had at least two taverns, one church, several schools, and about 250 homes. The Hollis road network carried commerce from Amherst, Pepperell, Milford, Nashua, and Boston. At the crossing of the present South Merrimack and Silver Lake roads was a general store, cooper shops, a blacksmith, and a shoemaker.
Today, Hollis retains its historical character and its town center village is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.