First settled in 1676, the town of Ashby is a rural community graced with a traditional New England Common. It was officially incorporated in 1767 with the help of John Fitch.
Ashby Center on Route 119 is distinguished by the spire of First Parish Church centered on the height of the Common. Built in 1809 as a Meeting House and Church, the town and its citizens donated a 1,261-pound bell to the church from the Paul Revere Foundry.
Today, the hill town of Ashby has many beautiful sites, from the laurel banks of Willard Brook State Park, the blueberries and open ledges of Mount Watatic, to the forests and trails of Flat Rock Reservation. While each year fewer fields are mowed or in pasture a quiet, rural, agricultural mode persists in the community complimenting the welcoming clapboard homes and churches of Ashby’s Common.