AMHERST, NEW HAMPSHIRE
Chartered originally in 1728 as Narragansett Number 3 and later called Souhegan Number 3, Amherst was named after General Jeffrey Amherst, the commander-in-chief of the British forces in America. It was the first seat of Hillsborough County until 1869, with a central village containing a courthouse, jail, pillory, and a whipping post.
Amherst’s town center is well known for its history and beauty. Its village green, which is surrounded by well-preserved historic buildings, remains a focal point of the community. Here, the town hosts events such as a large Fourth of July celebration, a Christmas tree lighting and band concerts.
With a population of approximately 12,000 residents and a land area of nearly 35 square miles, Amherst is a growing suburban-rural community that has successfully maintained many desirable historic and rural characteristics.